The East Lynn Church of God was founded in 1925. The exact date that the church began operations is unknown. However, church records with the denomination’s headquarters in Cleveland, Tennessee, indicate that the congregation was formed some time in 1925. The church was established when members of the community recognized the need for a holiness church in the area around East Lynn, West Virginia. The church was originally known as the Old Baltimore Church, but that was later changed to the current name of East Lynn Church of God in the 1940s.
The original church building was located inside a former meat-packing house located on Little Lynn Creek in East Lynn. That building served the congregants of the church until the 1940s.
At that time, a new church was constructed after the generous contributions of Ellen Adkins and others in the community. The new church, often referred to as the “little white church,” was used by the congregation until 2007. During its time in this building, the church experienced a considerable amount of growth. The little white church was used by the congregation of the East Lynn Church of God until the current building was constructed. Sadly, the little white church was destroyed by fire in 2014.
The current church building for the East Lynn Church of God was constructed across the road from the little white church. Construction on the new facility was completed in 2007. The new facility had a greatly-expanded sanctuary, more classrooms, and additional space for a fellowship area and offices. The new building was completed debt-free.
In its early years, the church did not have a permanent Pastor. Instead, the church relied
on itinerate ministers and evangelists. The first permanent Pastor was not appointed until 1944.
That year, Rev. Paul Ross became the first permanent Pastor of the church. Rev. Ross served as
the Pastor of the East Lynn Church of God from 1944 until 1976. His 32-year tenure was the
longest of any Pastor of the church. A list of all the Pastors of the East Lynn Church of God is
1944 – 1976 Paul Ross
1976 – 1978 Joe Smith
1978 Gene Stephens
1979 – 1984 Kenneth Stultz
1984 – 1988 Otis Bowens
1989 – 1992 Johnny Craddock
1992 – 1993 Tilden Blankenship
1993 – 1994 David Jenkins
1995 – 1998 Eugene Sparks
1998 Jody Lucas
1999 – 2001 Bill Privett
2001 – 2007 Harold Newsome
2007 – 2011 Otis Bowens
2011 – Today Jody Lucas